Monday, July 9, 2012

"Dyeing" to have a pair of RED shorts!

Ok, I was not really wanting a pair of red shorts, but since I got paint on my favorite pair, I decided red  would be ok.  They were comfortable and a good fit, I wore them almost everyday.! And getting them at an outlet for 3.99 wasn't bad either. So I decided it was worth trying to dye them.


Which color to choose? Wine or scarlet? I went with the scarlet!


Be sure to check out the Rit Dye website!  You can find it here.
They will give you different methods of dyeing. I chose the old sink and bucket method.

Red paint on my favorite shorts :(
This is the tub I wanted to use for the dye .
 It took me a little more time to find other buckets for these shells. 

Be prepared, the red dye is looks really gross. 

Rinse until the water runs clear.

After being in the rinse for several minutes, I threw them in the washing machine and added a tiny bit of detergent.
And this is how they turned out. Yes you can still see the red paint on the shorts but...think they turned out OK, I actually kind of like them. Can't wait to try something else!

You can still see the paint, but only if you really look for it.


I am liking them more and more!


What I learned from this project:

1. If the directions say use gloves....then use them.
2. Concrete will absorb the dye :)
3. Keep your project in the dye for the recommended amount of time. ( I took them out after 10 min. or so)
4. There lot's of liquid so have several things you can dye, just for the fun of it.
5. The thread and the zippers didn't absorb the dye.
6. If I can do it...so can you! 




No comments:

Post a Comment