Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Alphabet Bean Bags

Here's a list of a few things I should have been doing today:
 
Cleaning house
Finishing some projects
Laundry
Packing away Christmas items
Returning Christmas items
Visiting my Aunt in the nursing home
...there's a lot more I could add...

But instead, I looked at some fabric scraps and decided I needed to get rid of a few.  Really, yes.

Saw these on Pinterest (that darn Pinterest) and just had to make them...today!



Bean Bags for Jack and Mallie


  
 
 
 
  
I cut the squares 5in x 5 in 
Then I painted each letter using these stencils.
I used regular white wall paint and a small paintbrush, worked great.
 
 
 
 
Then we added beans and some of them got filled with rice,
I think the rice was better but much harder to sew up as the rice kept falling out!
 
 
 
 

Here's a recap of how I did it. 
Cut 26 fabric scraps in 5 x 5 squares.  Then sew up three of the sides.  I chose to sew on the outside because I wanted a ragged, fringed edge.  But you could always sew with right sides together and have a neater look.  Then I threw them in the washer to make them softer and get the edging to ravel. I ironed them flat and next I used the stencils and white wall paint.  Just put in on with a small paint brush. I ended up liking the paint rather thick, otherwise the letters weren't showing up very good. Then we added beans to the open end before sewing it up!  There are some great tutorials on Pinterest like here. 
 
If I can do it "sew" can you!
 


 
 










 

2 comments:

  1. These are cute and such a great idea. I like that you used a variety of different fabrics.

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much "Navy Wifey"! The kiddo's have played with them every day! They love throwing them and stacking them. They could care less about the alphabet being on each bag ha ha! I will check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete